Beaumont —  After staying close in the first half to Beaumont West Brook on Thursday night at Beaumont ISD Memorial Stadium, the Sterling Rangers dropped their season finale to the Bruins 47-14. 

Sterling stayed close for a half and trailed 21-14 until West Brook got ramped up in the second half, scoring three touchdowns in the third quarter to put the game away. 

The first Bruins score came on a Jamichael Foxall 2-yard run at the 10:12 mark of the third. Troy Yowman found Joey Pierre on a 35-yard score and the lead was 34-14 with 6:23 left. West Brook made it a 40-14 game on a Yowman to Ben Bennett 2-yard score with 4:56 left in the third and the Bruins were on their way to the win. 

In the first quarter it was West Brook jumping out to a quick 21-0 lead. Facing a 4th-and-2 from their own 38-yard line, the Bruins went for it and Yowman motored straight up the middle for a 62-yard touchdown run and a 7-0 lead just a minute into the contest. 

West Brook recovered the onside kick after kicking off from the Rangers 45-yard line after a personal foul penalty on the PAT. The Bruins went 34 yards on 5 plays with Ja'Kobi Holland scoring on a 1-yard run and the advantage was up to 14-0 with 8:57 left in the first quarter. West Brook added to their lead at the 3:47 mark of the opening quarter with Yowman scoring on a 4-yard run to make it 21-0. 

Sterling got their first of three fumble recoveries in the first half. Rueben Neal pounced on the football after it hit a Bruins player on the punt and the Rangers were in business at the West Brook 15-yard line. Two-plays later quarterback Jacob Landry sneaked it in from the 1-yard line to cut the deficit to 21-6 with 10:01 left in the second quarter. 

The Rangers set themselves up again as Ashton Williams recovered the loose football on the ensuing kickoff at the Bruins 21-yard line. Sterling moved to the 18-yard line before having to settle for a 36-yard field attempt, which was short to keep the score the same. West Brook moved to the Rangers 21-yard line before fumbling again and this time it was Omar Huntington recovering for Sterling to stop the scoring threat. The Rangers offense went to work and marched 79 yards on 13 plays for their second touchdown of the quarter as Landry hooked up with EJ Hawkins on a 4th-and-10 play for a 31-yard score. Landry ran in the two-point conversion it was Sterling down just 21-14 with 33 seconds left in the half. 

Hawkins led the Rangers in rushing with 110 yards on 20 carries. 

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.