There was a little movement this week for the top teams in the Power Five rankings – the poll that ranks all teams playing currently – even though most of the faces remain the same.
Once their season ends, a team’s spot on the poll will be vacated the following week.
There were some losses that knocked teams a peg or two, but overall, the familiar faces remain in place as the postseason closes in for winter sports while spring sports are ready to get into full swing with baseball and softball starting soon.
This week’s rankings (with last week’s rank in parentheses).
1. GCM girls soccer (2): They are 14-0-1 overall and now 4-0 in District 22-5A play after two impressive wins over top-caliber challengers. The 5-1 road win Friday at Santa Fe was huge, but so was the last second 2-1 home win against Texas City three nights earlier.
2. Crosby boys basketball (1): Their undefeated run in District 22-5A play ended in a 53-46 loss at Texas City, who they are now tied with at the top of the ladder with. It was a respectable loss against top competition and doesn’t diminish the campaign the Cougars have had.
3. Barbers Hill girls basketball (3): The Lady Eagles clinched a District 21-5A title in a somewhat contentious 19-point win at PN-G Friday. Freshman Dalanna Carter remains a force as the team is now 30-4 overall.
4. BCA boys basketball (4): The Bulldogs are 16-5 and getting ready to see the TAPPS playoffs get under way following an unbeaten run through the district schedule.
5. GCM girls basketball (new): The Lady Patriots are on a 4-game win streak following a tough loss to district leaders Friendswood and come off an 80-23 rout of Santa Fe. The Lady Patriots will host a bi-district round playoff game so things are trending upward for the Lady Patriots.
Others for consideration: REL boys soccer; Crosby boys soccer; Barbers Hill boys basketball; Barbers Hill girls soccer.