A few Trump accomplishments (?) Jerry Jones omitted in his recent letter to the Sun: Trump …
• has increased our annual budget deficit to 1 trillion dollars.
• passed a tax cut that led to this headline in Forbes Magazine: “The 2017 Tax Cuts Didn’t Work, The Data Proves It.”
• lied incessantly. Should we expect our president to tell the truth? How do you justify over 14,000 lies? Jerry, do all the lies bother you?
• Trump enhanced his bromance with Vladmir Putin, refusing to blame the Russians for their proven election interference.
• Sharpened his golf game, albeit at tax payers expense, to the tune of more than 100 million dollars so far.
• promoted an anti-science attitude leading to policies that are driven by whim instead of facts.
• fueled race-driven extremism that has increased by 30% during his tenure.
• proposed an endless supply of conspiracy theories, mostly to cover for his stupidity. Fake news, deep state opposition, and Ukrainian election interference are but a few examples.
• cleaned out the “swamp” and infested it with criminals. (6 Trump associates have been convicted of crimes. Compare that to any other president.)
• provided fodder for multiple white house staffers to author books describing his erratic, inept behavior.
• weakened our alliances with NATO and other allies at a time when Russia has invaded Ukrainian territory, sent assassins abroad to poison opponents, and interfered in our elections.
• hung the Kurds out to dry by withdrawing from Syria (without consulting with our military leadership).
• became the first president whose statements have to be analyzed for truth telling.
• succeeded in becoming the first modern era president to conceal his tax returns from the public.
• denied the reality of the greatest threat to our planet, withdrawing from the Paris Climate Accord, setting our country apart as the only nation in the world not cooperating in combating global warming. (Jerry Jones thinks this was a good move, probably because of his vast knowledge of climate science (sarcasm intended)).
• pardoned war criminals over the objections of military leaders.
• failed, despite several promises, to produce a “wonderful, cheap, healthcare plan.
• fired an ambassador reasoning wrongly that she did not hang up his portrait in the embassy.
• demonstrated his business acumen with 6 bankruptcies.
• caused thousands of children to be held in inhumane conditions and separated from their families.
• has indulged in the politics of division.
• is on his way to becoming only the third president in history to face impeachment.
• has demeaned the office of the presidency by using it to express his contempt for people who do not support him. (See John McCain)
• has undercut our nation’s moral standing by ignoring the killing by the Saudis of an American newsman, Jamal Khashoggi.
• uses foul language and childlike name calling to demean opponents.
• replaced knowledge and professionalism in government with ignorance and amateurism.
Yes, the economy is doing well, but it was doing well when Trump took office. He deserves credit for continuing economic growth but not for inventing it as Trump would have you believe. Former Republican Congressman Charlie Dent said that House Republicans are “absolutely disgusted and exhausted by the President’s behavior.”
Does truth matter? Does decency matter? Every voter has to decide that in 2020. If you don’t care about truth and decency, Trump is your man.