Narcissistic Personality Disorder – A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following diagnostic criteria:
1. Always talk about themselves, exaggerating achievements and talents. (e.g., may claim to be a “stable genius” and boast of “great and unmatched wisdom”).
2. Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty or ideal love.
3. Believes that he or she is “special” and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions).
4. Requires excessive admiration. Despite how outwardly confident narcissists may seem, they are incredibly insecure and require constant praise and like to be the center of attention.
5. Has a sense of entitlement (i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations). When things don’t go their way, they blame others and claim to be unfairly treated.
6. Is deceptive (i.e., lies often to achieve his or her own ends). To these people a lie is not a lie; it is merely a reasonable way to leverage a desired outcome.
7. Lacks empathy: because of their self-absorption, narcissists are unable to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others.
8. Is often envious of others. Because of their low self-esteem and need to be superior to others, narcissists see people who have things they don’t, including status and admiration, as threats.
9. Shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes.
10. Is extremely competitive, and will do whatever it takes (including cheating and lying) to win.
11. Holds grudges. Because of their insecurity and obsession to maintain an idealized self-image, narcissists can hold nasty grudges against those critical of their actions.
Would you like to work for a boss who had these characteristics? Would a person with these traits make a good president?