Baytown police arrested a man for possession of a firearm by a felon after they conducted a traffic stop in the 2800 block of N. Alexander Drive Friday afternoon.
According to police, a vehicle was stopped for not having a registration sticker. The driver, identified as Mitchell Brooks, told officers he did not have a driver’s license or insurance, police said.
“Brooks was also found to have Baytown warrants for previous traffic citations,” Sgt. Jason Kelly, Baytown police spokesman said. “While searching Brooks he was found to have on an ankle holster for a handgun, but no gun was found. Brooks told the officer he had a pistol under the driver seat of his vehicle.”
Police located the pistol under the driver’s seat and charged him with felon in possession of a firearm, as Brooks was found to have a previous felony charge of possession of marijuana.
Police also arrested a passenger in the vehicle, Kendra Shelby, who has a Johnson County warrant for possession of a controlled substance.
Baytown police responded to the 1600 block of Garth Road Friday in reference to shots fired. Police said the area yielded no results, but about 45 minutes later authorities responded to the Houston Methodist Baytown Hospital where a male arrived with a gunshot wound to his foot and calf areas.
“Officers arrived at the hospital and the victim was uncooperative,” Sgt. Jason Kelly, Baytown police spokesman said. “He initially told officers that he was shot at the Power Fuel gas station on Garth and Park. Officers were dispatched to that location but could not find anything to substantiate the victim’s story.”
Baytown police said a check of the victim’s residence revealed one drop of blood near the back door of the victim’s apartment.
• A theft of a vehicle valued at $5,000 was reported in the 3700 block of Garth Road Saturday afternoon.
• A burglary of a vehicle occurred in the 8600 block of Morning Dove Lane Friday. Various items valued at $400 were reported stolen.
• A theft from a building occurred in the 800 block of N. Alexander Drive Saturday morning. Gambling equipment valued at $3,500 was reported stolen and about $2,000 worth of damage was caused.
• A theft of $615 worth of clothing was reported in the 6500 block of Garth Road Wednesday afternoon.
• A theft occurred in the 4500 block of Garth Road Saturday afternoon. Items valued at $154 were reported stolen.
• A theft was reported in the 6500 block of Garth Road Saturday. Clothes valued at $272 were reported stolen.
Police Beat is compiled from Baytown Police Department reports and officer interviews. Those reports are available on the city website at www.baytown.org.
Baytown’s Crime Stoppers pays cash rewards for information that leads to the arrest and charging of anyone who commits a felony. Callers remain anonymous. Call Baytown Crime Stoppers at 281-427-TIPS.