A woman who tried to report a vehicle stolen from a home in the 2300 block of Belvedere about 11 p.m. Sunday later admitted that the vehicle had been taken and damaged by someone she knew who she was trying to protect from getting in trouble. In fact, she said she had already located the “missing” vehicle, with flat tires and other damage, at a Baytown apartment complex.
The woman, identified as 35-year-old Heather Capen, was charged with filing a false police report.
Baytown police spokesman said Capen is also a suspect in another auto theft that took place Thursday.
One arrest, two on the run
When a police officer stopped a car driving erratically in a business parking lot in the 6300 block of Garth Road at about 4 p.m. Sunday, a woman jumped out of the car and claimed the two men in the car with her had just gotten into the car.
One of the men got out of the car and ran. The officer pursued on foot and arrested the man, identified as Rodney Joiner, on a charge of theft and evading on foot.
While that was happening, though, the woman and the other man left in the car.
The three suspects allegedly stole two hair dryers from the nearby Ulta store.
Police used a Taser to subdue a 22-year-old shoplifting suspect who tried to evade arrest late Friday morning, Dorris said.
Police report that the man, Riky Lucatero of Baytown, took a lunchbox style cooler filled with merchandise from a store in the 1700 block of Garth Road without paying.
An officer located him walking with several other men and ordered him to stop, at which time Lucatero tried to flee on foot before being stopped by the stun weapon. He was charged with theft and evading on foot, Dorris said.
• Heavy construction equipment was reported stolen in the 100 block of West Cedar Bayou Lynchburg Road Saturday.
• A firearm was reported stolen from a vehicle in the 1800 block of James Bowie Drive Saturday.
• A firearm was reported stolen from a vehicle in the 2100 block of West Baker Road about 11:20 p.m. Saturday.
• A business in the 2200 block of Business 146 was reported burglarized about 4:45 a.m. Sunday. Police were able to locate the vehicle involved and recover some of the stolen property. A charge of evading arrest was filed against Emmitt Izell Singleton of Houston.
• A building was reported burglarized in the 4500 block of Garth Road about 11:15 p.m. Sunday.
• A theft charge was filed against Jacob Frank Powers of Baytown when he was arrested about 8:30 a.m. Sunday in the 1800 block of Interstate 10 allegedly trying to sell a stolen trailer. Police said the trailer had been reported stolen nearby two days earlier.
• A bicycle was reported stolen in the 700 block of South 7th Street Friday night.
• A 2005 Toyota Corolla was reported stolen in the 300 block of West Baker Road Saturday.
• A trailer with a side-by-side on it was reported stolen in the 8700 block of West Crescent Lake Circle about 1 p.m. Sunday.
• An attempted theft of an ATM was reported in the 6300 block of Garth Road about 5:15 a.m. Monday.