Several light poles in the new construction area of Hunt Road at San Jacinto Boulevard were damaged when someone stole copper wire from some of them and tried to steal it from others last week.
Baytown police spokesman Lt. Steve Dorris said the city has not experienced as much copper theft in the last year or so as it has in the past, said thieves may have targeted the new area thinking that new construction would be more likely to use copper, rather than aluminum, wiring.
He said thieves typically strip the coating off the wire and melt it down to sell at a scrap yard, where copper will bring $1.50 to $2 a pound and aluminum gets under $1 a pound.
Texas tightened regulations on metal recycling in 2015 in an effort to make it harder to sell stolen metal.
Dorris said the city is repairing the damage, but he did not know how long repairs would take.
A male employee at the Walmart on Garth Road was assaulted by the boyfriend of a female employee Friday in what police called an “ongoing dispute.”
The suspect, identified as 17-year-old Efren Perez of Baytown, hit the victim in the face, possibly breaking his nose, according to Baytown police spokesman Lt. Steve Dorris.
Police responding to the report of a disturbance at a hotel in the 8100 block of Bayway Drive arrested a man and woman from Channelview for public intoxication.
They later found that the man, identified as 40-year-old Dustin Griswold, was wanted by the U.S. Marshal Service for a fraud by wire warrant.
• Electronics were reported stolen from a vehicle in the 1 block of Mary Wilbanks Avenue about 9:20 a.m. Saturday.
• A vehicle was reported burglarized in the 300 block of West Baker Road Saturday morning.
• Someone tried to break in to a vehicle in the 4000 block of Interstate 10 about 9:40 a.m. Saturday.
• Clothing valued at $5,000 was reported stolen from a vehicle in the 300 block of West Baker Road Saturday afternoon.
• Electronics valued at $1,000 were reported stolen from a residence in the 300 block of Graham Street over the weekend.
• A vehicle was reported stolen in the 4500 block of Garth Road about 7 p.m. Saturday.
• A juvenile was temporarily detained in the theft of $600 in the 3500 block of North Main Street Saturday afternoon.
• About $100 worth of property was reported stolen from a church in the 3200 block of North Alexander Drive Sunday morning.
Baytown’s Crime Stoppers pays cash rewards for information that leads to the arrest and charging of anyone who commits a felony. Callers remain anonymous. Call Baytown Crime Stoppers at 281-427-TIPS or send information via text message by texting “Baytown” plus the information to CRIMES (274637).