Headlight on crime
Baytown police arrested a 23-year-old Indiana man after an apparent attempted auto theft about 6 p.m. Friday, but his only charge was resisting arrest since the would-be victim didn’t stick around to talk to officers.
Baytown police spokesman Lance Watkins said a witness observed the attempt and called police. According to the witness, a vehicle owner was replacing a headlight bulb in her car in the parking lot of a auto supply store in the 700 block of Park Street when a man, later identified as Levi David Briggs, approached and said he needed a vehicle.
The vehicle owner hit him several times and he fled, the witness reported.
When police located Briggs in the 3500 block of Garth Road, he had blood and several small cuts on his hands and confirmed he was the person being sought. However, he resisted when the officer tried to take him into custody, Watkins said. The vehicle owner left and could not be located.
• A firearm, electronics and other items were reported stolen from a residence in the 400 block of Oakhaven Drive Thursday.
• A vehicle was reported burglarized in the 8000 block of Berkely Court Friday morning.
• Property valued at $1,000 was reported stolen from a vehicle in the 4600 block of Interstate 10 Thursday.
• A white 2009 Ford Edge was reported stolen in the 3900 block of Cary Creek Drive Thursday.
• Cash was reported stolen in the 6900 block of Garth Road Thursday.
• Cash was reported stolen in the 900 block of East Baker Road early Friday morning.
• Drugs were reported stolen from a nursing facility in the 700 block of Rollingbrook Drive about 8 p.m. Friday.