At 8:30 a.m. Saturday, the Baytown Fire Department received a call for an odor of natural gas in the 700 block of Ruth. Engine 4 was dispatched to the scene and detected a heavy smell of natural gas. They then requested Battalion 1 and the HazMat Unit. The following units responded to the scene: Engine 4, Engine 3, and Engine 5, HazMat 7, HazMat Utility 71, Tower 7, Medic 4, Battalion 1, and the EMS supervisor.
It was determined that while working on a new sewer line construction crews had struck a natural gas line, causing a leak. The leak released natural gas into the air and trench where the sewer line was being placed.
Fire department crews conducted air monitoring and established an isolation zone. Residents in the 700 block of Ruth were sent to a temporary evacuation destination in the parking lot of a nearby business. A total of nine people and one dog were evacuated.
CenterPoint Energy was able to isolate the natural gas supply around 11 a.m. and repairs are ongoing. Residents were allowed to return to their houses.
The scene was under control at 11 a.m. with a total on-scene time of approximately four hours. There were no injuries.