Wooster Baptist Church (originally called First Baptist Church of Wooster) was formed on January 5, 1941 at David G Burnett School. The first sanctuary was completed April 12, 1942 but in the summer of 1952 the sanctuary was moved to the current location on Bayway Drive with plans to build a larger sanctuary. Many church members worked for Humble Oil/Exxon at that time, donating some of their personal stocks to help with the building costs. Exxon assisted in building the current sanctuary, using equipment and workers to help lift the large beams and securing them into place, completing the work in one day! This activity was highlighted in the September 1953 issue of The Humble Bee.
The new sanctuary was completed March 14, 1954 and our church members continue using this beautiful sanctuary today. We are so thankful for the help that Exxon gave to Wooster Baptist Church during that time.
Janet Ranne, member of Wooster Baptist Church